Our first birthday cupcake on the actual day of our birthday (from Gigi's Cupcakes - yum!)
Perfect for the birthday princess!
Celebrating on our new swingset (not quite completed but getting there!)
Party time!
We must have a princess cake for a princess party!
I am 3 years old today!
Even Grandpa had to get into the princess theme!
Cinderella and Snow White have nothing on us!
I think Lola already has a thing for older men! Watch out Aunt Holly!
Tearing into presents!
Apparently the cake was good!
Lilly and Lola hanging out...
Mommy and Daddy with the birthday girl!
So grown up at 3 years old!
I cannot believe my little girl is 3 years old! Olivia turned 3 on April 30th. Of course, that falls on a Friday so we thought we would celebrate on Sunday - try explaining that to a 3 year old! It didn't go over well. So on Friday, when my nanny called in sick, Mommy took her to breakfast at Chik-Fil-A, at her request, to let her eat hashbrowns and play on the playground. Then we went for a princess cupcake at Gigi's so we could have birthday cake. While I was able to spend the morning with Olivia, Daddy and Uncle Chris got the short end of the stick - they spent 9 hours trying to assemble Olivia's new swingset from Mommy and Daddy, Nanny and Papaw, and Grammie and Grandpa. Unfortunately, the swingset takes a little more than 9 hours to assemble. Due to the flood that hit us this weekend, we weren't able to finish it, so Olivia was a little disappointed, but in the life of a 3 year old, she quickly got over it.
To celebrate her birthday, we also threw a small Disney princess birthday party on Sunday with a few friends and family. Olivia dressed as Cinderella for a total of 5 minutes, but others came prepared for the theme (thanks Anderson and Abbey!). Olivia had a wonderful time playing with her cousins and opening presents. She particularly enjoyed her cake - she started sticking her fingers in it before we could even sing "Happy Birthday!" Everyone bought her so many cute presents - thank goodness I have a play room or it would take over my house!
We have definitely noticed that Olivia is now 3. She finally gave up the pacifier while we were on vacation. Rather than doing anything cutesy (like my pacifier fairy idea), Jeremy convinced me to just take it from her on vacation, when she is too distracted and tired to protest. It was a brilliant idea. We just told her that pacifiers weren't allowed on airplanes or at the "castle" at the beach. She bought it. She was too tired and distracted to care too much, although Nanny did have to deal with some late night crying due to no pacifier (sorry Nanny!). She has asked for it a couple of times since we came home, but has handled it pretty well. The difficult part I am finding is that she cannot soothe herself to sleep very well without it, so we are spending a lot of nights laying in bed for an hour or so still awake and sometimes crying herself to sleep. If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this, I would love to hear them, because it is driving me crazy. But I assume it is penance for my awful decision to let her have a pacifier as long as I did. I made my bed, so now I am laying in it.
I have also noticed that temper tantrums have escalated since Olivia turned 3. She wants to manipulate everything. This is particularly bad when she decides that she wants me to sit on the right side of the couch and I sit on the left - then watch out. If you don't do exactly what she says, she throws a fit. I am completely worn out with this attitude of hers, but trying to be patient - I have heard that 3 can be more difficult than 2.
Beyond the tantrums, Olivia is quite a riot these days. She can say the funniest things and really have me chuckling. Most are too personal to put on the blog (of course), but if you see me in person, ask, and I can have you laughing for hours! She asks a million questions and has hit the dreaded "why" stage. I try to explain things to her logically and in a way she could understand, but sometimes I just say "because I said so." She is like a broken record! She also has quite the personality and really takes everything in. I can have full conversations with her and she understands so much - it scares me how grown up she seems! Time is slipping by too fast!


No comments:
Post a Comment