Now I have to worry about getting Olivia and Jeremy vaccinated. Since the crazy health department has decided to only do Saturday clinics for high risk persons here, it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. Maybe after the holidays. Lets cross our fingers we don't catch it a second time around. I am also hoping that since I am vaccinated while Lilly is in utero that it will protect her as well, but it is going to be a LONG maternity leave if I have to keep her in the house to avoid contamination.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Swine Flu
Well, we survived the swine flu. It was a week of pure hell. Olivia started vomiting Friday night and by Saturday was running a 103 degree fever. I immediately called by OB/GYN for a prescription of Tamiflu and warned Jeremy he should take some of mine when it was filled. Well, he didn't and what do you know, but he catches the flu that night. So for an entire week I nursed Olivia and Jeremy (I say "nurse" Jeremy very loosely - there wasn't much time to take care of him and he had to help with the childcare duties since I am 9 months pregnant), but we survived. Poor Olivia caught a secondary infection and had to take a round of antibiotics, but she finally improved. She was so pitiful - she would just lay on the couch, burning up, and refuse to eat pretty much anything. I could occasionally get her to eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch, her all time favorite food, but after a couple of bites she would complain that her "belly hurts" and quit. I was at my wits end. It was the most exhausting week ever! It was particularly frustrating because everyone was so concerned about me catching it while pregnant while all I wanted was someone to make my baby better. But I am very thankful some girls at work convinced me to drop in my OB/GYN's office when they heard that they had received a small shipment of the H1N1 vaccine and insist on getting vaccinated. I am positive that the combination of that vaccine and the Tamiflu protected me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment